Sunday, May 16, 2010

Perseverance is Fundamental

It was the most important game of the tournament, both for me and for my opponent! The winner would be the champion! My opponent had won his first four games. I had three wins and one draw. He was the favorite, because he had the best rating. Of the six participants, in order of rating, I was fourth. In this game I was the underdog, but I knew that I could beat him! And I fought with all my might to achieve this goal. In the end everything worked to my favor! Let's see how was the game:

[Event "Torneio Amistoso Dia do Trabalhador"]
[Site "FBX Federação Brasiliense de Xadrez"]
[Date "2010.5.11"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Antonio Carlos Brasileiro"]
[Black "Rodrigo Moreira Cavalcante"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e4 e5 4.d5 b5
I had already played other two games with White against him. In both he played the Grunfeld Defence and won. This time he decided to change and accepted the gambit, trying to keep the pawn.

5.a4 Bd7 6.axb5 Bxb5 7.Bxc4 Bxc4
We spend much time in the opening, a sign that neither he nor I knew all possible variants. I decided to retake the pawn at the first opportunity that arose.

8.Qa4+ Nd7 9.Qxc4 Ngf6 10.Nc3 Bc5
Black had to worry about their pawns on a7, c7 and e5 and White with pawns on e4 and b2. Here, perhaps 11.b4 could improve the situation of this pawn, but I opted to continue the development, targeting the safety of the King, attacking the pawn on e5, and keeping the Black Knight in d7 overloaded, because it also was defending the Bishop on c5.

11.Nf3 Qe7 12.O-O O-O 13.Bd2
It's time to develop the Bishop. For where to move this piece: g5 or d2? I chose to keep it active on the Queen's flank, taking account of the e1-a5 diagonal. It was protected by the Knight and could not be attacked immediately. Later it would be useful to defend the pawn on b2...

13...Rfb8 14.Na4 Bd6 15.Rfc1 Nf8 16.Nh4
When my opponent made his move, I immediately thought to prevent the plan he had in mind. I knew the Knight in g6 would bring many complications for my game. I did not want to fight on the King's flank, for now. My move had that goal and was successful. Fighting continued in the Queen's flank!

16...g6 17.Nf3 Kg7 18.Qd3 Rb7 19.Rc6 Rab8 20.Ra6 Rb3 21.Bc3
Look at the Bishop there, folks! Eight moves after, it helps to defend the pawn, and gives up its place to the Knight!

21...R8b7 22.Nd2 R3b5 23.Rxa7?
Here I made a move unthinkable ... I thought I was making a nice move, but only after playing it I saw the replica of Rook taking on d5. If I thought a little more, could have won the Quality, exchanging a Knight for a Rook: 23.Nc4 N8d7 24.Na5 Nb8 25.Nxb7 Rxb7 26.Ra5. Here I thought: I put everything to lose... Every advantage that I had achieved, was gone.

23...Rxd5 24.exd5 Rxa7 25.Qe3 Ra8 26.Qd3 N8d7 27.Ne4 Nxe4 28.Qxe4 f6 29.b3
My Rook had to enter the game again. For this, the Knight had to be defended in another way. Although located far from the center, its position was strategic and would change the course of the game!

29...Rb8 30.Qc4 Kg8
My opponent wanted to move his pawns on e4 and f6. He did not like having the Bishop pointed indirectly to his King, but the location for where the King gone, also was not the best place in the world! Now I would do everything to keep my Queen on c4, looking to the King at a distance, but directly in your eyes!

31.Rc1 e4 32.Ba5 Qe5 33.g3 Nb6
It was just what I was expecting. Bishop pressed pawn on c7, although it could not take it, since the Rook on c8 would be a disaster for White. After the leap from Black Knight to b6, the White Knight shows its value and practically decided the game.

34.Nxb6 cxb6 35.Bc3 Qe7 36.Re1 Re8 37.Bd4 Bc5
Again, another move that I was expecting. Black Bishop abandons the blockade to the d5 pawn and the white Queen, on c4, is still looking at the King...

38.Bxc5 bxc5 39.d6+ Qf7 40.Qxc5 Qxb3?
Here we were short of time... Less than a minute for each one! Taking the pawn on b3 was a big mistake for Black. The passed White pawn becomes toooo strong!

41.d7 Rd8 42.Qc8 Qb8 43.Qxb8 Rxb8 44.Rc1 Kf7 45.Rc8 1-0
The latest moves have been automatic. A few seconds on the clock. Without exit, Black abandons.

Perseverance is a very strong word! If it was by the rating of my opponent, I would have lost the game before it even begins. I believed in myself and went to fight! Even when everything seemed to have gone down the drain, I lifted my head and I started all over again. In the end everything worked to my favor! I won my first tournament here in Brasilia!



Play chess online



In Portuguese:

Era o jogo mais importante do torneio, tanto para mim, quanto para meu adversário! Quem ganhasse seria o campeão! Meu adversário havia vencido as quatro primeiras partidas. Eu tinha três vitórias e um empate. Ele era o favorito, pois tinha o melhor rating. Dos seis participantes, em ordem de rating, eu era o quarto. Nesse jogo eu era o azarão, mas tinha comigo que podia vencer! E lutei com todas as forças para atingir esse objetivo. No final tudo deu certo! Vamos ver como foi a partida:

[Event "Torneio Amistoso Dia do Trabalhador"]
[Site "FBX Federação Brasiliense de Xadrez"]
[Date "2010.5.11"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Antonio Carlos Brasileiro"]
[Black "Rodrigo Moreira Cavalcante"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e4 e5 4.d5 b5
Eu já havia jogado duas outras partidas de brancas contra ele. Nas duas ele jogou a Defesa Grunfeld e venceu. Desta vez ele resolveu mudar e aceitou o Gambito, tentando manter o peão.

5.a4 Bd7 6.axb5 Bxb5 7.Bxc4 Bxc4
Gastamos muito tempo nesse início de partida, sinal de que nenhum dos dois conhecia as diversas variantes possíveis. Resolvi retomar o peão na primeira oportunidade que surgiu.

8.Qa4+ Nd7 9.Qxc4 Ngf6 10.Nc3 Bc5
As pretas tinham que se preocupar com seus peões de a7, c7 e e5 e as brancas com os peões de b2 e e4. Aqui talvez 11.b4 poderia melhorar a situação desse peão, mas optei por continuar o desenvolvimento, visando a segurança do Rei, ao mesmo tempo que atacava o peão em e5, deixando o Cavalo Preto de d7 sobrecarregado, pois também defendia o Bispo de c5.

11.Nf3 Qe7 12.O-O O-O 13.Bd2
Chegou a hora de desenvolver o Bispo. Para onde mover esta peça: g5 ou d2? Optei por mantê-lo ativo no flanco da Dama, tomando conta da diagonal e1-a5. Ficava protegido pelo Cavalo e não poderia ser atacado de imediato. Mais tarde seria útil defendendo o peão de b2...

13...Rfb8 14.Na4 Bd6 15.Rfc1 Nf8 16.Nh4
Quando meu adversário fez seu lance, de imediato pensei em evitar o plano que ele tinha em mente. Sabia que o Cavalo em g6 iria trazer muitas complicações para o meu jogo. Não queria a luta no flanco do Rei, por enquanto. Meu lance teve esse objetivo e obteve êxito. A luta continuou no flanco da Dama!

16...g6 17.Nf3 Kg7 18.Qd3 Rb7 19.Rc6 Rab8 20.Ra6 Rb3 21.Bc3
Olha o Bispo aí, gente! Oito lances depois ele ajuda na defesa do peão, além de ceder seu lugar para o Cavalo!

21...R8b7 22.Nd2 R3b5 23.Rxa7?
Aqui fiz um lance impensado... Achei que estava fazendo uma jogada bonita, mas só depois de ter jogado é que vi a réplica da Torre tomando em d5. Se pensasse um pouco mais, poderia ter ganhado a Qualidade, trocando um Cavalo por uma Torre: 23.Nc4 N8d7 24.Na5 Nb8 25.Nxb7 Rxb7 26.Ra5. Aqui eu pensei: coloquei tudo a perder... Toda a vantagem que havia conseguido se esvaiu...

23...Rxd5 24.exd5 Rxa7 25.Qe3 Ra8 26.Qd3 N8d7 27.Ne4 Nxe4 28.Qxe4 f6 29.b3
Minha Torre precisava entrar no jogo novamente. Para tanto, o Cavalo tinha que ser defendido de outra maneira. Apesar de localizado longe do centro, sua posição era estratégica e mudaria o rumo do jogo!

29...Rb8 30.Qc4 Kg8
Meu adversário queria mover os peões de e4 e f6. Não lhe agradava ter o Bispo apontado indiretamente para o seu Rei, mas o local para onde o Rei foi também não era o melhor lugar do mundo! Agora eu faria tudo para manter minha Dama em c4, olhando o Rei à distância, mas diretamente em seus olhos!

31.Rc1 e4 32.Ba5 Qe5 33.g3 Nb6
Era o que eu estava esperando. O Bispo pressionava c7, apesar de não poder tomá-lo, já que a Torre em c8 seria um desastre para as brancas. Após o pulo do Cavalo preto a b6, o Cavalo branco mostra o seu valor e praticamente decide a partida.

34.Nxb6 cxb6 35.Bc3 Qe7 36.Re1 Re8 37.Bd4 Bc5
Novamente mais um lance que eu estava esperando. O Bispo preto abandona o bloqueio ao peão de d5 e a Dama branca continua em c4 mirando o Rei...

38.Bxc5 bxc5 39.d6+ Qf7 40.Qxc5 Qxb3?
Aqui já estávamos apurados no tempo... Menos de um minuto para cada um! Tomar o peão em b3 foi um grande erro para as pretas. O peão passado branco se torna muiiiito forte!

41.d7 Rd8 42.Qc8 Qb8 43.Qxb8 Rxb8 44.Rc1 Kf7 45.Rc8 1-0
Os últimos lances foram automáticos. Poucos segundos no relógio. Sem saída, as pretas abandonaram.

Perseverança é uma palavra muito forte! Se fosse pelo rating de meu adversário, eu teria perdido o jogo antes mesmo de começar. Acreditei em mim e fui à luta! Mesmo quando tudo parecia ter ido por água abaixo, levantei a cabeça e comecei tudo de novo. No final tudo deu certo! Venci meu primeiro torneio aqui em Brasília!

No comments:

Post a Comment