Thursday, June 3, 2010

Surprise (Yourself)

First round of the first semifinal of the Brasiliense Chess Championship 2010. As an alternative to the Sicilian Defense I decided to change and try the Petrov Defence. I still do not have much intimacy with it, but the times that I played it, I felt quite comfortable. The Petrov Defense is still played by several GMs.

[Event "Campeonato Brasiliense - Semifinal I"]
[Site "FBX Federação Brasiliense de Xadrez"]
[Date "2010.05.24"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Jonathan Meneses"]
[Black "Antonio Carlos Brasileiro"]
[TimeControl "2h"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]

1.e4 e5
I do not usually respond e5 against the King's Pawn Game. My usual response is c5, entering in the Sicilian Defence. I decided to change, already thinking on Petrov Defense ... But it is still my opponent who will choose... Depends on the next move.

2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6
Publish the games has its advantages: you have the opportunity to learn a little more about the opening in question. Wow... as the Petrov Defense is rich in possibilities, both for White and for Black! I looked around for several variants ... Going forward, I will study them in depth!

4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.Nc3 Nxc3 6.dxc3 Be7 7.Bc4 O-O 8.O-O Be6
Until the White's eighth move we were following the book. Here I saw the White Bishop threatening, and I wanted to open the f column for my Rook and later it could be used by the Queen and by the other Rook as well. I believed that the pawn on e6 was not vulnerable and that it was defending d5. Later it could advance to e5, forming a strong chain of pawns, but this chain could be broken by the white pawns of c column. I had to think about this too!

9.Bxe6 fxe6 10.Nd4 Qd7
The pawn had to be defended! If it advance to e5, the white Knight would give the fork on e6!

11.f4 Bf6
The White tries to prevent e5. Here it was possible to play e5, but I would end up with an isolated pawn, although a passed pawn! But I could not see the advantage in that line.

12.Qe2 Re8 13.Re1 Bxd4+
Here I missed the chance to play e5. I saw the continuation of White with the pawn advancing to f5 and the Knight occupying e6, then I thought that the Knight on e6 was strong... But I had a refutation for that: 13 ...e5 14.f5 Nc6! If 15.Ne6 then I would play 15... Nd8 and I would be stronger in the game.

14.cxd4 Nc6
I confess that I thought a lot before playing the Knight to c6. I feared the move 15.Qb5, nailing the Knight and attacking b7 and with the possibility to advance the pawn to d5. I thought I needed to defend b7, but 15... a6 would solve this problem. If 16.Qxb7 then 16... Reb8, winning the Queen!

15.Be3 a6 16.c4 e5 17.fxe5 dxe5 18.d5 Ne7 19.Rad1 Ng6 20.Rf1 1/2-1/2
Pawn e5 was finally played. But here it did not help much. After playing 20.Rf1 my opponent offered a draw. As there was not much else to do, I accepted!

It was a new learning! In previous matches against him, I had played the Sicilian Najdorf, achieving a draw in a very difficult match for me, and suffering a defeat in another. I think my opponent was surprised, after I chose the Petrov Defense. I also surprised myself, discovering new ways in the world of Chess!






In Portuguese:

Primeira rodada da primeira semifinal do Campeonato Brasiliense de 2010. Como alternativa à Siciliana decidi mudar e tentar a Defesa Petrov. Ainda não tenho muita intimidade com ela, mas nas vezes que a joguei, me senti bem à vontade. É ainda muito jogada por Grandes Mestres atuais.

[Event "Campeonato Brasiliense - Semifinal I"]
[Site "FBX Federação Brasiliense de Xadrez"]
[Date "2010.05.24"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Jonathan Meneses"]
[Black "Antonio Carlos Brasileiro"]
[TimeControl "2h"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]

1.e4 e5
Não costumo responder e5 contra jogos do Peão do Rei. Minha resposta usual é c5, entrando na Defesa Siciliana. Resolvi mudar, já pensando na Defesa Petrov... Mas ainda é o meu adversário quem vai escolher... Depende do próximo lance.

2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6
Publicar as partidas tem suas vantagens: você tem a possibilidade de aprender um pouco mais da abertura em questão. Uau... como a Defesa Petrov é rica em possibilidades, tanto para as brancas como para as pretas! Passei os olhos por diversas variantes... Mais prá frente vou estudá-las a fundo!

4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.Nc3 Nxc3 6.dxc3 Be7 7.Bc4 O-O 8.O-O Be6
Até o oitavo lance das brancas estávamos seguindo o livro. Aqui achei o Bispo branco ameaçador e pensei em abrir a coluna f para a minha Torre e mais tarde poderia ser usada pela Dama e pela outra Torre também. Acreditava que o peão em e6 não era vulnerável e defendia d5. Mais adiante poderia avançar para e5, formando uma cadeia de peões forte, mas que poderia ser quebrada pelos peões brancos da coluna c. Eu tinha que pensar sobre isso também!

9.Bxe6 fxe6 10.Nd4 Qd7
O peão tinha que ser defendido! Se avançasse para e5 o cavalo branco daria o "fork" em e6!

11.f4 Bf6
As brancas tentam impedir e5. Aqui até era possível jogar e5, mas eu acabaria com um peão isolado, se bem que um peão passado! Porém não consegui enxergar vantagem nessa linha.

12.Qe2 Re8 13.Re1 Bxd4+
Aqui perdi a chance de jogar e5. Eu vi a continuação das brancas com o peão avançando para f5 e o cavalo ocupando e6 e achei que era forte... Mas eu tinha uma refutação para isso: 13...e5 14.f5 Nc6! Se 15.Ne6 então jogaria 15...Nd8 e eu estaria mais forte na partida.

14.cxd4 Nc6
Confesso que pensei muito antes de jogar o Cavalo a c6. Temia o lance 15.Qb5, cravando o Cavalo e atacando b7 e podendo avançar o peão a d5. Achei que precisava defender b7, mas 15... a6 resolveria este problema. Se 16.Qxb7 então 16... Reb8 ganharia a Dama!

15.Be3 a6 16.c4 e5 17.fxe5 dxe5 18.d5 Ne7 19.Rad1 Ng6 20.Rf1 1/2-1/2
O lance e5 acabou saindo. Mas aqui já não ajudava muito. Após jogar 20.Rf1 meu adversário ofereceu empate. Como não tinha muito mais o que fazer, aceitei!

Foi um novo aprendizado! Em partidas anteriores contra ele, eu havia jogado a Variante Najdorf da Defesa Siciliana, conseguindo um empate em uma partida muito difícil para mim e sofrendo uma derrota na outra. Creio que surpreendi meu adversário ao jogar a Defesa Petrov. Também me surpreendi, descobrindo novos caminhos pelo mundo do Xadrez!

No comments:

Post a Comment