Monday, June 7, 2010

The Losses and its Teachings

Life is made of wins and losses... So it is with the Chess. Before starting this championship, I had read some famous quotes of great chess players. One said: "You may learn much more from a game you lose than from a game you win. You will have to lose hundreds of games before becoming a good player!" A quote of Jose Raul Capablanca, one of the greatest players of all time! Two weeks ago I won my first tournament defeating the opponent of today. Now, we face again, but this time he won. Let's see what lessons we can extract from this game!

[Event "Campeonato Brasiliense - Semifinal I"]
[Site "FBX Federação Brasiliense de Xadrez"]
[Date "2010.05.31"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Antonio Carlos Brasileiro"]
[Black "Rodrigo Moreira Cavalcante"]
[TimeControl "2h"]
[Result "0-1"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 e6 4.Nf3 dxc4
Like last time we played, we enter the Queen's Gambit, Slav Defence main line.

5.a4 Bb4 6.e3 Nf6 7.Bxc4 Ne4 8.Bd2 Nxd2
My opponent came out of the main line and I think here is the key lesson of this game: Do not lose the initiative. I should continue my development (better would be play 8.O-O or 8.Qc2 or 8.Qb3), but I started to defend myself and I allowed the exchange of pieces. My opponent was balancing the game and I losing the advantage of initial move.

9.Qxd2 Nd7 10.O-O Nb6 11.Qd3 Nxc4
And there goes the another Bishop. Now my opponent got the pair of Bishops - an advantage for the endgame in an open game.

12.Qxc4 Qa5 13.Na2 Bd6
Instead of taking my Knight to the center of the board, I took it to the edge. The best move here would be 13.Ne4. I thought enough to make this move, but I don't know why I didn't do it... Maybe because I saw the Black Queen on d5 and I thought she'd be strong there...

14.Rfc1 O-O 15.b4 Qxa4
Here's the major error. I figured the Black Queen could not take my pawn of a4, because if I moved the Knight, the Queen would be attacked by the Rook and would be lost. Just not figured that by moving the Knight, the b4 pawn would be unprotected and the Queen would escape by taking that pawn!

16.Ng5 Qb5 17.Qxb5 cxb5
The exchange of queens benefit the Black, which have one pawn more and the pair of Bishops.

18.Ne4 Bb8 19.Rc5 a6
Another error: keeping the Knight on the edge ... I should bring it to the center and try to make one Knight help the other Knight.

20.Rac1 Bd7 21.Rg5 f6 22.Rgc5 Bc6
Here it would also be interesting the variant 22.Nc5 fxg5 23.Nxd7 Re8 24.Nb6 Ra7 25.Nc8, followed by 26.Nxa7. I didn't think that to leave the Rook at g5 could be better than moving it back to c5. I should have considered other moves instead of thinking only of moving the Rook.

23.Nd2 Bd5 24.R5c2 Bd6
Black became increasingly strong.

25.Nc3 Bxb4
I didn't want that my Rooks left the "c" column, but my situation was getting worse and worse! Here I saw the Bishop taking the Knight on d2 and I saw my other Knight jumping to c7, threatening the Rook on a8 and the pawn on e6. I didn't see that Black simply would take the Knight on d5, and I was losing one more pawn!

26.Nxd5 exd5 27.Nb3 b6 28.g3 Ba3
I wanted my Rooks free and I wanted to create a escape for the King, but the situation got worse. My Rooks no longer dominate the "c" column. The loss is inevitable!

29.Ra1 b4 30.Rc6 Rab8 31.Ra2 a5 32.Rac2 a4 33.Nd2 b3 34.Nxb3 axb3 35.R2c3 b2 36.Rb3 Rfc8 0-1

Some teachings: keep the initiative and give preference to the development of pieces early in the game (8.Bd2?); keep the Knight in the center instead of bringing it to the edge of the board (13.Na2?); think twice or more when the calculation involves movement of piece that is defending another (15.b4??); analyze the various possible moves instead of to think that only the piece that is being attacked must be moved (22.Rgc5?). And the main thing: remember these teachings in the upcoming games!




Play online chess



In Portuguese:

A vida é feita de vitórias e derrotas... Assim também é com o Xadrez. Antes de iniciar este campeonato, li algumas frases famosas de grandes jogadores de Xadrez. Uma delas dizia: "De poucas partidas aprendi tanto como da maioria de minhas derrotas!" Uma frase de José Raul Capablanca, um dos maiores jogadores de todos os tempos! Há duas semanas atrás ganhei meu primeiro torneio vencendo o adversário de hoje. Agora, novamente nos enfrentamos, porém desta vez, ele venceu. Vamos ver que ensinamentos podemos tirar dessa partida!

[Event "Campeonato Brasiliense - Semifinal I"]
[Site "FBX Federação Brasiliense de Xadrez"]
[Date "2010.05.31"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Antonio Carlos Brasileiro"]
[Black "Rodrigo Moreira Cavalcante"]
[TimeControl "2h"]
[Result "0-1"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 e6 4.Nf3 dxc4
Como da última vez que jogamos, entramos no Gambito da Dama, linha principal da Defesa Eslava.

5.a4 Bb4 6.e3 Nf6 7.Bxc4 Ne4 8.Bd2 Nxd2
Meu adversário saiu da linha principal e acho que aqui está o principal ensinamento desta partida: não perder a iniciativa. Eu deveria continuar meu desenvolvimento (melhor seria jogar 8.O-O ou 8.Qc2 ou 8.Qb3), porém passei a me defender e permiti a troca de peças. Meu adversário foi equilibrando o jogo e eu perdendo a vantagem do lance inicial.

9.Qxd2 Nd7 10.O-O Nb6 11.Qd3 Nxc4
E lá se vai o outro Bispo. Agora meu adversário ficou com o par de Bispos - uma vantagem para o final, em uma partida aberta.

12.Qxc4 Qa5 13.Na2 Bd6
Em vez de levar meu Cavalo para o centro do tabuleiro, levei meu Cavalo para a borda. O melhor lance aqui seria 13.Ne4. Pensei bastante em realizar esse lance, porém não sei dizer por que não o fiz... talvez tenha me dado algum branco, ou porque vi a Dama Preta em d5 e achei que ela ali seria forte...

14.Rfc1 O-O 15.b4 Qxa4
Aqui o erro principal. Calculei que a Dama Preta não poderia tomar meu peão de a4, pois ao mover o Cavalo, ela ficaria atacada pela Torre e não teria saída. Só não calculei que ao mover o Cavalo, o peão de b4 ficaria desprotegido e a Dama escaparia tomando esse peão!!!

16.Ng5 Qb5 17.Qxb5 cxb5
A troca das Damas beneficia as pretas, que têm um peão a mais e o par de Bispos.

18.Ne4 Bb8 19.Rc5 a6
Outro erro: manter o Cavalo na borda... Deveria trazê-lo para o centro e procurar fazer com que um Cavalo ajudasse o outro.

20.Rac1 Bd7 21.Rg5 f6 22.Rgc5 Bc6
Aqui também seria interessante a variante 22.Nc5 fxg5 23.Nxd7 Re8 24.Nb6 Ra7 25.Nc8, seguido de 26.Nxa7. Não imaginei que deixar a Torre em g5 poderia ser melhor que movê-la de volta para c5. Devia ter analisado outros lances em vez de pensar apenas em mover a Torre.

23.Nd2 Bd5 24.R5c2 Bd6
As pretas ficavam cada vez mais fortes.

25.Nc3 Bxb4
Eu não queria que minhas Torres abandonassem a coluna "c", porém minha situação foi piorando cada vez mais! Aqui vi o Bispo tomando o Cavalo em d2 e meu outro Cavalo pulando para c7, ameaçando a Torre em a8 e o peão em e6. Não vi que as pretas simplesmente tomariam o Cavalo em d5 e outro peão meu ia pro beleléu!

26.Nxd5 exd5 27.Nb3 b6 28.g3 Ba3
Eu queria liberdade para as Torres e queria criar uma casa de fuga para o Rei, porém piorei ainda mais a situação. Minhas Torres já não dominam a coluna "c". A derrota é inevitável!

29.Ra1 b4 30.Rc6 Rab8 31.Ra2 a5 32.Rac2 a4 33.Nd2 b3 34.Nxb3 axb3 35.R2c3 b2 36.Rb3 Rfc8 0-1

Alguns ensinamentos: Manter a iniciativa e dar preferência para o desenvolvimento das peças no início do jogo (8.Bd2?); manter o Cavalo no centro em vez de trazê-lo para a borda do tabuleiro(13.Na2?); pensar duas vezes ou mais quando o cálculo envolver movimento de peça que está defendendo outra (15.b4??); analisar os vários lances possíveis em vez de que achar que só a peça que está sendo atacada deve ser movida (22.Rgc5?). E o principal: lembrar desses ensinamentos nas próximas partidas!

No comments:

Post a Comment